Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013

So, the new year is finally here and while it is the typical time to make new resolutions for the year, I generally abstain from this cliche because usually, these newfound resolutions {although they are created with good intentions} are forgotten by the time Valentines Day hits. However, this year is a big year for me. After six and a half years of exams, classes, and clinical rotations {or as I would like to call it "free labor from PA students"}, I am finally making my transition into the professional world {and the world of pay checks! :) }. This year will be an opportunity for change and new beginnings. With that in mind, there are a few things that I would like to work on. These aren't new years resolutions per se, because I intend these to be more of a lifestyle facelift that will last well beyond 2013. Here goes...

1. Become a "Betty"

Yes, I am admitting it, I am an impossible cook. I once attempted to make Kylar and I some eggs, bacon and pancakes while Raynor was at work and it was a BIG MISTAKE! I nearly started a grease fire with the BLACK bacon, meanwhile the pancakes were stuck to the pan and refused to flip over properly and Kylar was crying on the floor because she dumped all of her Cheerios onto the ground {which I was stepping on, creating a crumbly mess!}. When Raynor came home I believe his words to describe it all were a "war zone" and he said "why don't you just leave the cooking to me?!". And then we decided that he would do the cooking and cleaning and I would make all the money. The end! :) Yeah right.. Like he would let me off cleaning duty that easy! So, for the last six and a half years I have had my nose in a book for my goal/dream of becoming a physician assistant. now that I have conquered that goal, it is time to focus on a goal in a different arena: the kitchen!

2. Be more organized about life.

I add the "about life" part because the "norm" for me and my family is chaos and spur of the moment change of plans. I have spent the past 6 years following my husband around the country watching him play ball. Therefore, baseball dictated our schedule. And as a perfectionist/planner I was always emotionally scarred when my perfectly thought out plan did not come to pass! {just kidding.. But seriously though!} So, now that Raynor is back at home and I am finished with PA school, I am hoping life will be a little more "normal".  But then again, who am I kidding?! I sometimes enjoy the thrill and unpredictability of chaos and working in the neurosurgery field will be a far from normal pace of life! However, my attempts at a more organized lifestyle start with the basics: go to bed early {which I hate} and wake up early {which I REALLY hate}. No matter how much I loathe the wee hours of the morning, I think it is vital that I get into a routine of spending time with the Lord, renewing my mind before the day begins. {now, let's just hope that these early morning convos with God don't also include some Zzzz's!} And besides, when you have to be at the hospital at 6am for surgeries, whats a few more hours of lost sleep.. Right?!

3. Serve hard, serve abundantly.

Last but not least, this is my favorite one. There have been countless people in my life that have blessed me in some way or another and they may not even know it. I only hope that I have been or will be a blessing to others. Oftentimes, life gets so hectic and there are so many distractions that it is hard to remember to serve others or simply pray for others that have wronged you in some way or who are just simply annoying! {sorry about the last one, but let's just be real here! Everyone has someone in their life who knows how to push their buttons and these people are the hardest to pray for!} It is so easy to get bogged down in all the drama and get distracted with the "he said, she saids" that it is hard to focus on the real picture. Most likely, the stem from ALL drama is jealousy which is a result of personal insecurities {whether it's yours or the other persons}. So, I would like to challenge you and myself to pray for the person who is the cause of your frustration because they are probably battling bigger demons than what is apparent.  Matthew 7:12 says "So then, whatever you desire that others would do to and for you, even so do also to and for them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." It is my goal, not only for the new year, but for a lifetime to serve others whether it is through medicine, monetary support, a helping hand or just encouragement. I believe this is what makes life enjoyable and filled with purpose.


Happy New Year!

Blessings,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment