Thursday, August 8, 2013

Be an Encourager!


I am naturally an introverted person. I remember when I was about 5 years old, I used to cling to my moms leg and not talk to anyone who tried to approach me and ask me a question.  Obviously, over the years I have learned to be more extroverted but there is still a hint of a small shy and unsure little girl in there somewhere! ;) Probably one of the things I fear most is being rejected or not having someone's approval.  The Lord has really been working on this issue in me lately.  I don't know about you, but there have been many times when I have felt like complimenting someone on their outfit but I'm afraid they would respond negatively {it's silly I know! Who doesn't like compliments?!}.  There have also been times where a verse pops into my head while I am having a conversation with someone about a tough time in their life and I am too afraid to share it with them for fear that their opinion of me will be negatively affected.  Have you ever felt that way?  As I am learning to dismiss the importance of others opinions, The Lord has revealed to me that the most important time to disregard how others may view you is when you have the opportunity to encourage someone or spread the gospel.   We encounter numerous people each day, not knowing their stories.  Some of them may be going through divorces, others may be dealing with financial issues and some people may just simply need a word of encouragement. I believe that positive and uplifting words have such a powerful impact on people, whether or not they are a stranger or your best friend. I encourage you to speak up! Don't be silent! You may never know how much you can impact someone's life with a simple word of encouragement, but regardless of whether or not I am aware of my impact, I want to do everything I can to uplift others.   God put us here on this earth to love and help one another and sometimes this world can be so distracting that the only things we think of at times are owning the newest Louis Vuitton handbag or getting a promotion at our job so we can buy more pretty things that the world tells us we need.  But, at the end of the day, all of those worldly possessions can not make you feel like you have fulfilled a purpose or calling on your life.  We are all human and get distracted by those things.  But, it is so important that we pay attention to others and their situations. So, next time you have that small voice that tells you to speak encouraging words to someone, don't ignore it!  Never underestimate the power of words! 

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." (Ephesians 4:29 NIV)

"The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." (Proverbs 18:21 NIV)

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19, 20 NIV)

1 comment:

  1. Love the post! I've been working on my boldness. I just hate to come across the wrong way to people, but I'm getting better. I often want to encourage others, but I don't want them to think I'm being weird or pretending. This is very encouraging!!

    ReplyDelete