Friday, May 20, 2011

How To: Tutu

I think pretty much everyone can agree that tutu's are super adorable on little girls! So, when I found out we were having a girl, I instantly went to work on making her collection of tutu's! I think that making these adorable tutu's is a lot more fun than buying them (and a lot cheaper too!) so I decided to put together a "how-to" post for tutu's! Enjoy!

The first tutu I made for Kylar is in support of her daddy's team, the Giants! Here is the finished product to give you an idea of what you are getting yourself into :)
I still need to sew on the "Go Giants" fabric but you get the picture :)

Supplies:
- 1 yard of 2 or 3 different colors of tulle ($1.00 per yard at Hobby Lobby)
- Crochet headband - you can either use the 1.5" width or the 2.75" width (these are about a dollar at Hobby Lobby)
- Scissors


1) Unfold your tulle.  Once you have it all unfolded, it should measure to about 58"x 36" or so.  Cut the tulle into 3 long peices that will be about 11 inches wide and 58 inches long.
(They will look like this but a lot longer.. I couldnt fit it all in the picture.)

 


 2) Cut 2"x11" strips of tulle until all of the tulle is cut.

You should end up with a lot of 2"x11" strips in each color of tulle.
 3) Now you are going to take a strip of tulle and fold it in half and twist it in the middle.

4) Stick the middle of the peice of tulle through one of the bottom holes of the crochet headband.  It is important that you put the tulle in from the front side of the headband to the back so the tutu will end up nice and "fluffy"


5) Now you are going to take the tail end of the tulle and put it through the loop of the tulle that you made in the previous step.



6) Repeat steps 3-5 while alternating colors until the whole row of the headband is filled! I did 2 black then 2 orange but you can experiment with your colors to get your desired result.  I did 3 rows to acheive the thickness of the tutu that I wanted but you can certainly do more or less.

And here is the finished product:

Making these for a total cost of $3.00 is way better (and more fun) than buying them at a store for $30!

No comments:

Post a Comment