Saturday, May 28, 2011

How to: Headband Flowers!

Have you ever seen the adorable pictures of newborn baby girls wearing the huge flower headbands?! I absolutely love them! However, as I have been shopping for our baby girl, I cant seem to find these adorable flowers for headbands. Or, if I do, then they are about $15 per flower.  Which lead me to the conclusion: I can totally make this for so much less! So then I went on a mission to find an easy and inexpensive way to make these flowers for my precious baby girl to wear! Here is what I came up with:



This process was so simple! Here is what you need:
- bouquet of silk flowers
- needle and thread
- hot glue gun
- pearls, rhinestones or other embellishments
- alligator clip (for the large flower)
- skinny headband (for the small flower)
- small piece of felt

First, I am going to show how to make the large flower with the alligator clip.  Then I will show how to make the smaller flower that is already attached to the headband.

1) Take your silk flower and dismantle it.  It is pretty easy to take these apart.  Usually there is a plastic stem on the back that comes off easy and then you slip your petals right off.  Typically, there are about 3 different size petals for the flower once you take it apart.  I like to seperate them by size so it makes it easier when you sew them together later.
























2) Next, get your needle and thread ready.  Tie a knot at the end of the thread so your stitches are secure. 


3) Then, you will take about 2-3 large petals and stack them together and start stitching them together from the bottom to the top.  You want to make sure the needle goes through all of the petals so they are secure.



This is what your stitches should look like:

4) Keep adding petals from larger to smaller sizes and stitch them into place until you have acheived the desired fullness of the flower.


5) Choose your embellishment for the middle and hot glue them to the center of the flower.  For this flower, I chose pink pearls but rhinestones look great also!



6) Then cut out a small circle of felt and hot glue it to the back of the flower.



7) Then take the alligator clip and hot glue it to the felt. 




Now you have a beautiful flower to clip to your baby girl's headband or hair!

For the smaller flower, instead of an alligator clip you will need a head band or elastic material.  I bought this headband at Target and cut it down to the size of an infants head.  The assembly steps are the same as steps 1-6 above for the large flower.  Once you have glued the felt to the back of the small flower you will hot glue the headband to the felt.  Then you will cut out another small circle of felt and hot glue it over the top of the headband.  I forgot to take pictures of the process but you can get and idea from this picture:


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment