Tuesday, December 18, 2012

How To: Handprint pillow ornament!




The other day, my friend and I had a playdate with our little ones and we attempted to make salt dough handprint ornaments and it didnt turn out so well..


Mine ended up as an ornament poof!  Which, in a way, inspired my next idea for a handprint ornament!  I have found that paint handprints last so much longer and is a little bit easier (if you can prevent your child from getting paint everywhere! I highly recommend a helper!).  Here is what you will need:

1/4 yards of sturdy fabric (I used some canvas that I had in my craft closet)
Ribbon or jute rope
Pillow stuffing - I didn't have any pillow stuffing so I just used cotton balls :)
Needle & thread (you can either hand sew the pillow or use a sewing machine)
Paint


My curious little one :)
NOTE: this is where the helper comes in handy! I did this project by myself and we ended up with red paint on the table, chairs and on our clothes! Luckily, it wiped off easy :)

After your handprints dry (I gave mine at least 12 hours), take your measuring tape and give about 1 cm border on the widest part of the handprint.  Mine ended up being about a 12 cm x 12 cm square but this will vary depending on how big your child's handprint is. 

Cut out the handprint and another square of fabric for the back side of the pillow.
Place the handprint fabric on top of the blank fabric and sew up three sides leaving one side open for you to put in the pillow stuffing (or in my case, cotton balls!)
Tie your ribbon or jute rope and cut each end.
Stuff the ornament with pillow stuffing or cotton balls.  I used about 12 cotton balls per pillow but you can use more or less depending on how "fluffy" you want your pillow!
Place the ribbon or jute rope inside the pillow and sew the remaining side of the pillow together.  NOTE: after I did this pillow, I realized how difficult it was to sew the jute rope while the stuffing was in there.  So, I sewed the top side of the pillow with the jute rope first, before the other sides and it was much easier :)


Viola! Finished product! These make great presents for family members and are very simple and easy to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment